Thursday, May 25, 2006

The more you try to FIT IN

What I'm trying to fit in to is a pair of jeans. Somehow in the last few weeks, my body has changed shape on me such that all pants this size seem to hug me a bit too tight. Further complicating the matter is the fact that in outgrowing this size of pants, I am entering the one size-zone that I've somehow managed to skip in all my pregnancy sizing ups and downs, and so I really can't wear anything in my current wardrobe. I'm left with two options - take two little boys clothes shopping, OR just lose the weight. The second seems by far the easier choice!

Soo, I've joined an aerobics class! It's very fun, but the point of all of this is tell about a different type of fitting in. The story goes like so...

This class rocks because you can take your little ones with you and let them roam and play while you sweat. My kids like to work out along with me, its fun to see them try to lift legs, walk backwards, etc. Provides entertainment while you work out too!

I have two sons. Superman is 3 yrs. old. Captain America is 1 1/2.

Today Superman decided he was going to play with the big boys (4 years old) roaming the aerobics class. The boys were all playing with swords and lightsavers, neither of which I've wanted to buy for Superman just yet. So, Superman found his toy hammer and ran up to the boys and tried to hammer-sword-fight with them like a true toughy. Unfortunately, the boys recognized that his weapon was a hammer, not a sword, and let him know in no uncertain terms that he wasn't welcome to play with them. (I guess they didn't realize that he can fly and has super-human strength.)

Watching this, my motherly instinct cried out to RUN over there and let those boys know that a hammer was a perfectly fine sword, and that they better play with my boy or else! Of course I couldn't do that. Superman needs to learn to be tough sometime and better now than 7th grade gym class. And if I did interfere, the boys would probably still remember it come seventh grade gym! So I refrained, and somehow it worked out. Superman played by his self for a while, and towards the end, the cute and sociable Captian America managed to get the big boys to play with them both.

Later this afternoon, we went on a bike ride with a friend to the park. The friend, Batman, is a very good bike rider. Superman has just learned this week to ride his trike, but he was very proud of his accomplishment. As soon as we saw Batman, Superman ran up to him and said, "My bike is really fast!!". Batman said, "No my bike is fast!" As we headed to the park, it became clear that Batman was the faster one. He easily could have made it around the block to the park in about 2 minutes, instead of the 30 minutes that it took Superman to carefully pedal his way. Nevertheless, Superman cheerfully insisted that his bike was "really fast" and reminded Batman to "Watch out, because there is FIRE coming out of my bike!"

As I watched Superman slowly pedaling along, I had to smile. Even though I obsess a bit about fitting in sometimes, he doesn't yet feel the need. He knows he's fast and he knows he's super. I'm so proud of him, and I hope he stays that way and mabye someday Mom will figure it out too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

Come play with my Little Superhero---he doesn't discriminate between hammers and swords....b/c he doesn't have any swords either! He uses a chopstick as his light saber (against my wishes!).

8:17 AM  
Blogger Code Yellow Mom said...

Great post! Very sweet...I learn so much from my boys (they're about the same age as yours) about just liking myself - it's wonderful to watch how resilient and confident they can be.

10:58 AM  
Blogger emlouisa said...

Yay! I'm glad I finally stopped by your little corner of the blog world!

I know how you feel about the whole wanting-to-interfere-but-not-doing-it thing. A couple weeks ago my 2 1/2 year old tried to play with some kids in the common area behind our house and they rudely said, "LET'S GO!" and glared at him when he walked up. I wanted to smack the little brats. ;) I always want to SAVE my baby but you are right. Better for him to learn now than in 7th grade.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home