Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Mania

I had such a fun Memorial Day. I think today is the first Memorial Day of my life that I didn't attend a family BBQ. Ya think I'd be sad, and don't get me wrong, I love a good BBQ like anyone loves a Good BBQ, ( actually, I scored a invite to a great friend BBQ earlier in the day, so all bases covered), but really, it was SO fun to not to anything this evening except play with my husband and boys. I never get to do that! We did house projects, and let the house get totally trashed, then went to a nice Pizza place for dinner and then played in the ailses at Home Depot, and it was SO FUN.

My cute husband said the other day, "Do you realize we only have 15 more summers with Superman before he's off to college?"

That hit me like a ton-a-bricks. That's not long! Specially considering how many years its been since highschool...

I realized that there are a lot of things I want to do with my family when they are young, from camping, to climbing trees to racing down isles in shopping carts (err, in a very safe and orderly manner of course!). But honestly, nowhere on my list is having a spotless house or trying to get everyone in the family to wear decent clothes that aren't stained (my most recent obsessions). So I guess I'm going to stop fighting for those goals quite so hard. I tell you this now so that if anyone comes to visit and Captain America is wearing Superman's clothes and they don't match, and Superman's hair badlly needs to be cut and my jeans have holes and the house is a STY and you think "How can anyone ever POSSIBLY live like this?" just know that I am incredibly happy. :)

So yes, I'm spending a memorial day mourning the future loss of child going to college who hasn't yet entered preschool. But alas, I am loving these years and I sure hope they last a LOOOOOOOOONG time!!!!!

And while I'm at it, I just must add, I love my husband, and I'm glad he never has to go back to college, yahoo!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

That is awesome. 15 summers doesn't seem like much, does it? I'd better get busy messing up this place and having fun.

12:10 PM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

So that's why my kids don't like Home Depot-- I don't go cart-racing with them!

Mary, mom to many

10:05 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Man, that scares me, too. Thanks so much for the reminder, Erin.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah, I think about them growing up too.

I let E pretty much dres himself, so he is usually wearing the wrong season, his church shoes (on the wrong feet) with no socks, and often has goop on his face.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home